Common sense statistics
One of the best tools in the statistical detective’s toolkit is common sense
Sainani, K. L. (2019). How to Be a Statistical Detective. PM&R. 10.1002/pmrj.12305
Statistics: A subject which most statisticians find difficult but in which nearly all physicians are expert.
ISIS-2 collaborative group. Randomised Trial of Intravenous Streptokinase, Oral Aspirin, Both, or Neither Among 17,187 Cases of Suspected Acute Myocardial Infarction: ISIS-2. Lancet. 1988 Aug 13;2(8607):349-60.
"All these subgroup analyses should, perhaps, be taken less as evidence about who benefits than as evidence that such analyses are potentially misleading."
Thresholds for significance based on one comparison or test. Thus 5% chance of the finding being random gives 95% confidence its real
Anscombe, Francis J. (1973) Graphs in statistical analysis. American Statistician, 27, 17–21.
Sainani, K.L. (2020), How to Be a Statistical Detective. Journal of Injury, Function and Rehabilitation, 12: 211-215. 10.1002/pmrj.12305